Saturday, January 4, 2014

12 in 12 Challenge: Failed

In retrospect, trying to knit twelve sweaters in twelve months before having actually completed anything larger than a sweater vest was probably not a good idea.

For January I attempted Vivian, and that was when I learned the importance of swatching.  Also, of knitting something small with the intended yarn before knitting an entire sweater made of prickles and itchiness.  I adore knitpicks, but I feel like Cadena may not be sweater material for me. Overall, I feel like it's too big and unwearable as a sweater.  I may line it with a soft fabric and use it as a jacket, though.  We'll see.

January - Vivian

In February I knitted up Talia in Knitpicks City Tweed DK.  This yarn was a joy to knit with, and the pattern was excellent.  I finished this vest in less than two weeks and have worn it over button-down shirts, t-shirts, and simple long-sleeved tees.  Of course, it has proper buttons.

February - Talia
In March I started the Blackberry Cabled Cardigan in Knitpicks Swish DK.  The pattern is excellent, the eggplant color is perfect, and I lost steam at the start of the second sleeve and haven't picked it up since April.  In my defense, I did spend all of May, June, and most of July making this sweet baby blanket for my new nephew.

I'm gonna go with I forgot April and May existed and skip to June...

In June I took on the Balthazar Vest.  A few people had warned me that the pattern wasn't very good and that I'd need to check out the errata and read project notes from other Ravelers.  I didn't find the pattern to be too confusing, but by then I had already knit a few vests and one and a half sweaters, so maybe that experience helped.

Displaying IMG_20140104_153210494.jpg
June - Balthazar Vest

July was a very productive month, almost making up for forgetting two of the three previous months.  First, I made the Something Lacy Shrug in Cascade 220 Superwash.  I love this, but I haven't worn it at all.  It gets SO hot in the summers, but it's always freezing inside, so this is either way too much or not nearly enough.  Delaware forgot to have spring or fall in 2013, jumping right from winter to summer and then back to winter again.  I also made the Sinnesfrid vest in Plymoth Yarn's Galway worsted, which was a gift from my dear friend Anne.  I splurged on some bone buttons from Vulcan's Rest Fibers to finish it off.  I absolutely adore this vest and wear it all the time!
July - Something Lacy Shrug
July - Sinnesfrid
Finally, in December I made the Baby Sophisticate sweater for my adorable six-month-old nephew.  This was a super quick knit and looks great.

December - Baby Sophisticate
So that was it for 2013.  I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but I've learned a very important lesson about biting off more than I can chew.  Maybe this year I'll take on socks.  After all, I do have that awesome subscription to Tipsy Sheep Yarn!

No comments:

Post a Comment